Your 5 steps to staying under control during the holiday.
It’s not always easy saying “no, thank you” when you’re around good food, family and friends. Keep in mind there are little ways you can avoid going completely off-plan when celebrating. Here are our 5 tips to stay under control:
- Drink water! If you can help it, try to avoid having any alcohol. Consider sparkling flavored water or tea (iced or warm). Coffee can also make for a nice treat when it’s chilly outside.
- Offer to bring a side dish that is on-plan. This way, you know you have something you can enjoy and fill up with if there aren’t many other options available.
- Work that veggie tray! Fill up on vegetables before the main meal so you’ll be less likely to overindulge in anything that may be higher in calories, fats or carbs.
- Don’t skip meals. This just leads to a bigger appetite later, causing you to eat too much at one meal (which can still pack on the weight even if you’re under your calorie limit for the whole day).
- Look for foods that have protein and try to eat them throughout the event. High protein intake will help you stay full and control your blood sugar later after the meal is over.