- 1 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1, 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced into thin ribbons
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 16 oz. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium sauce pan, brown beef/turkey and season with salt. When cooked, drain in colander to remove any fat. Add olive oil to the pan and add tomatoes, garlic and meat. Simmer on low for 20 minutes. Allow the sauce to become thick.
Slice zucchini into thin slices. In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well. In a 9x12 casserole dish, spread 1/2 cup of the sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini and meat sauce on top. Sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella cheese on top. Repeat the process until all ingredients are used. Sprinkle a little extra mozzarella on top, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes. When finished, let cool for 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Looking for other healthy recipes? Check out our recipe blog here.